Skip to main content
Frequently Asked Questions:

What are Community Education Classes? 
They are short-term, not-for-credit classes open to adults over 18 years old. 

Age Requirements
Unless noted with the class titles, classes are for students ages 18 & up. If Community Education allows an exception to age requirement or for a College for Youth class, a release and and medical consent form must be completed and submitted to our office upon registration by parent or legal guardian, no exceptions. 

Do we get credit or grades for these classes?
No, Community Education classes are not-for-credit; there are no official grades given.

Where are classes held?
Classes are held on the main campus in Gilroy, in the Briggs Building in Hollister and at the Morgan Hill Community Center in Morgan Hill.  For maps of the locations, go to http://www.gavilan.edu/maps/index.html
Occasionally, some classes are held in the community.  Those locations and directions will be noted on your confirmation after you have registered.

What is Community Education’s office hours?
Monday thru Friday, 8:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-5:00pm although summer hours vary so be sure to consult our current class schedule of classes for most up-to-date information.

How do I register for Community Education Classes?
You can register a variety of ways in Community Education, including online here at this website at community.gavilan.edu, by mail: Gavilan College Community Education, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd., Gilroy, CA 95020, by phone at 408-465-9369. Due to Covid-19, in person registration is not currently offered. 

What forms of payment does Community Education office accept?
Checks made payable to Gavilan College and by credit card- MasterCard and Visa only. Do not include materials fee.

How I register online at community.gavilan.edu?
To register online for the first time, click on Sign in, then click on Create a Student Profile, and fill out your profile.  Be sure to note your user name and password. Then pick your classes and proceed through checkout. 

I am a Community Education student or instructor and forgot my username and password. What do I do?
Call our staff at 408-465-9369 and they will be glad to assist you.

Can I register on the first day of class?
Yes, if space is available.  We encourage you to register early as many classes fill prior to the class date.  Also, early enrollment ensures that there will be a space for you in class. Bring your check or credit card information to enroll. No cash.

To whom do I pay the material fee?
Pay material fees in cash directly to the instructor at first class, unless otherwise noted. Community Education cannot accept materials fees on behalf of instructor. Do not add materials fee to course fee.

What if I can't attend a class for which I am registered?

Cancellation Policy:
When unable to attend a class for which you have registered, notify Community Education at least 3 full business days before the first class meeting in writing. You may request a transfer or receive an electronic voucher valid for 2 years towards any Community Education class for the amount of the class. This policy applies unless specifically noted othewise with class description. Electronic vouchers are non-transferable. No exceptions.  

What if Community Education cancels a class?
You will be given a full refund if Community Education cancels a class. Allow 4-6 weeks for a refund. Community Education reserves the right to change class locations, schedules, fees and instructors when necessary.

Can I transfer to another class?
Yes, but your request must be received in wiring by our office at least 3 full business days before the first class meeting. Please note, we cannot transfer you from an online class to an on-campus class hosted by Community Education. Above policy applies unless noted specifically with class description. No exceptions. 

What is an electronic voucher and how do I use it?
An electronic voucher is an electronic credit stored in your online student profile at community.gavilan.edu. It is valid for a 2 year period from date of issue towards Community Education classes. It is not valid towards for-credit classes or fees.

What if I lose my certificate from a career training program where I was issued a previous certificate from Gavilan College Community Education?
In most cases we can offer you a replacement your certificate. The cost is $25.

What about parking?
Parking is currently $2 per day (no coins, only dollar bills and credit cards)  Monday through Thursday from 7:00am-10:00pm and Fridays, 7:00am-5:00pm, although is subject to change. Check www.gavilan.edu for updates. Yellow permit dispensers are located through campus parking lots. Parking is free on Saturday and Sunday. Do not park in staff or handicap parking spaces. Parking permits not required at Morgan Hill or Hollister campus centers.

If I am an AOL user, should I do anything special to receive my email from you?
Some AOL users do experience trouble receiving our emailed receipts. To avoid being blocked by SPAM settings, AOL recommends that you add our email address (Commed@gavilan.edu) to your personal address book.

What happens to my personal information?
The Community Education department is committed to protecting your privacy on-line.  We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others.  The Community Education Department may use the information collected to contact you regarding course information, promotional updates, and specials, new additions to the Community Education Web site or your on-line experience.
Also, we do not store your credit card number on our website.  

Is smoking allowed on campus?
Gavilan College is a smoke and tobacco-free campus, however, smoking is permitted in designated smoking spots only.